Friday

Outsourcing Blues: Training My Overseas Replacement

By Body Taing, Pacific News Service

A young assemblyline worker in Silicon Valley tells of the arrival of Chinese workers at his company, and the reaction of a workforce fearful, resentful and in some cases apathetic about impending layoffs.

SAN JOSE, Calif. - July 9, 2004 - The other day I showed a guy from China how to do my job -- so he could take it home with him.I'm lucky. I still have a job in Silicon Valley manufacturing, for now. In the past couple years I've competed against college graduates to keep jobs like this. But now it's not just college students who want this work. Degrees don't mean a thing if your job is moving to another country.Welcome to the real Silicon Valley, the mother of all outsourcing.


No comments: