Thursday

'I lost my job to India, all I got was this lousy T-shirt'

No threat to US jobs because America alone can be the birthplace of ideas. Bangalore techies can only help them reach the market quicker .

Yamini Narayanan is an Indian-born 35-year-old with a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Oklahoma.

After graduation, she worked for a US computer company in Virginia and recently moved back to Bangalore with her husband to be closer to family. When I asked her how she felt about the outsourcing of jobs from her adopted country, America, to her native country, India, she responded with a revealing story:

''I just read about a guy in America who lost his job to India and he made a T-shirt that said, 'I lost my job to India and all I got was this (lousy) T-shirt.' And he made all kinds of money.''
Only in America, she said, shaking her head, would someone figure out how to profit from his own unemployment. And that, she insisted, was the reason America need not fear outsourcing to India: America is so much more innovative a place than any other country.

No comments: